Tuesday, 4 June 2013

Preemie Babies, Blankies and Wraps

In October 1998 I had an ectopic pregnancy. I was about 7 weeks into the pregnancy and for the last few days of those I'd suffered severe stomach cramps on and off. This was my first pregnancy though and our baby was so desperately wanted that I persevered with the pain until one morning it became so unbearable I went to my GP who immediately sent me to A&E. 

For years I'd suffered with 'grumbling appendix' and that day I prayed that this was just another flare up. Sadly, an internal scan and blood tests proved otherwise and I was taken to theatre straight away. They discovered that one of my fallopian tubes had ruptured and it had to be removed. The sense of loss even at such an early stage of pregnancy was overwhelming and I was absolutely heartbroken. 

A couple of  years ago with a bit of time on my hands I decided I'd like to do some knitting for charity. I had a mooch around the internet and came across upon butterfly wings. Reading about the small amount of comfort bereaved parents can take from being given something special to wrap their precious baby in, was all I needed to get knitting.

Over the past couple of years I've made several 'angel wraps'. Knitting these little wraps is a double-edged sword though. Made with love and sent with a prayer the sad fact is every one reflects the loss of a longed for child.


But blankies are a little different. These are made for preemie babies. Each stitch is full of hope that one day the baby who is given this blanket will be able to go home with loving parents.


The wraps and blankets are two of the most requested items by hospitals.  If you can knit or crochet maybe you could help.

xxxx




No comments:

Post a Comment